Texas State University Logo

Online Resources

Join the Conversation

adjust type sizemake font smallermake font largerreset font size


The Hazlewood Exemption (Hazlewood Act) provides an education benefit to honorably discharged or separated Texas veterans and to eligible dependent children and spouses of Texas veterans.

81st Texas Legislative Changes (effective 6/19/2009): Senate Bill 93 authorized new provisions which remove certain residency restrictions, extend eligibility to spouses, and permit eligible veterans to assign their unused hours to their child. These new provisions are known as the "Hazlewood Legacy Act".

Senate Bill 297 authorized a new exemption from the payment of tuition (fees not included) for a child, or stepchild, of a member of the Armed Forces who is deployed to active duty in a combat zone outside the United States.


Required Documents


Benefit Type


Hazlewood Legacy

DD-214 X X
Hazlewood Exemption Request (online) X X
Hazlewood Exemption Application for Veterans (HE-V)


(Every Fall Semester)


(First Time Only)

Hazlewood Exemption Application for Dependents (HE-D) - X
(Every Fall Semester)
Letter from VA stating ineligibility for Ch. 33 GI Bill** X X
Birth Certificate - X
Proof of Hazlewood Database Registration X X

 **Only for veterans or dependents of veterans with a discharge AFTER 9/10/01


All students wishing to use the Hazlewood/Hazlewood Legacy Exemption must provide a printout of their previously used hours. By registering with the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, a record of the number of previously used Hazlewood hours will become available. Our office will need that printout along with the other required documents.

Additionally, new students wishing to use the Hazlewood/Hazlewood Legacy Exemption with DD-214’s that have a discharge date after 2001 will need to provide proof that they are not eligible to receive the Post 9/11 (Chapter 33) GI Bill at the 100% rate. A “certificate of ineligibility” can be obtained by completing the VONAPP. Please allow 4-6 weeks for delivery.


Submitting Applications

All required documents need to be submitted in PDF format through our VA Certification Request application as we no longer accept paper documents. An application will need to be submitted each semester to retain benefits.

Please note that students must be admitted to Texas State and all transcripts must be posted to your Texas State Transcript before any paper work can be processed.