Skip to Content

Distance Learning, Continuing Edu, Exams, & More!

Expand or Collapse all.

GI Bill® Recipients

Continuing Education

The GI Bill is available for non-college-degree programs (i.e. continuing education) and The Office of Distance and Extended Learning's Continuing Education offers a wide variety of education other than undergraduate and graduate degrees.


The Post-9/11 GI Bill

Under this program, for programs offered at non-degree granting schools, the benefit pays the actual net costs for in-state tuition and fees or national Maximum, whichever is less.

Monthly housing allowance (MHA) is paid based on the location of the school. Up to $83 per month is available for books and supplies.


All Other GI Bill Programs

VA pays a monthly rate that varies depending on which GI Bill program you are entitled to and how long your qualifying military service was. View current payment rates.

Correspondence Study

For GI Bill® recipients, correspondence courses will be certified for payment AFTER completion of the course only if the course is required as part of your degree. Upon completion of the course, you must submit an Correspondence Certification Request and upload a copy of your receipt (obtained when you registered for the class) at the end of the request. In addition, you must provide our office with a notification from the Correspondence Office stating the grade you made and the date it was posted to your transcript.


Our office will then re-certify all previously certified coursework that fall within the beginning and ending dates of the correspondence course. VA will re-calculate the rate of payment for all coursework within those dates.  (NOTE: A maximum of five credit hours can be added to your total hours).


Payment amounts are made quarterly after VA receives certification of lessons completed from the school.

For Post-9/11 GI Bill recipients, VA reimburses the lesser of the net actual costs for in-state tuition and fees assessed by the school for the program being pursued or the maximum amount allowed by law. View the current payment rates.

For all other GI Bill recipients, VA will reimburse 55 percent of the approved costs.

This assistance is NOT available for children training under the Dependents Educational Assistance program (CH 35).


Extension Courses

The VA will cover extension classes the same way they cover the rest of your classroom courses.

Flight Training

VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training. Payments are issued after the training is completed and the school submits your enrollment information to VA. NOTE: Texas State Aviation is not affiliated with Texas State University.


National Test Reimbursement

While it is true that you can be reimbursed for national tests, please be aware that the VA will DEDUCT A FULL MONTH of GI Bill® entitlement regardless of the actual cost of the test. We urge you to weigh your options when deciding whether or not to pursue this reimbursement so that you can get the most out of your GI Bill®.

The following tests are approved for reimbursement:

  • SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test)
  • LSAT (Law School Admission Test)
  • GRE (Graduate Record Exam)
  • GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test)
  • AP (Advanced Placement Exam)
  • CLEP (College-Level Examination Program)
  • ACT (American College Testing Program)
  • DAT (Dental Admissions Test)
  • MAT (Miller Analogies Test)
  • MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test)
  • OAT (Optometry Admissions Testing)
  • PCAT (Pharmacy College Admissions Test)
  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
  • DSST (DANTES Subject Standardized Tests)
  • ECE (Excelsior College Examinations)
  • PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) testing through


Follow these steps to apply:

  1. First apply for GI Bill benefits.
  2. Complete a VA Form 22-0810 (Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee)
  3. Send the completed application to VA Regional Office P. O. Box 8888 Muskogee, OK 74402-8888, OR use the Ask a Question section of their website to send them the information required and attach copies of any required documents.

Find more information here,


Online Classes

If you are enrolled exclusively in Online Training (No Classroom Instruction) full-time through the post 9/11 GI Bill® at an online college, school, or distance learning program, the BAH is $754.50. A full-time student taking at least one classroom course will get the full BAH rate based on the zip code of the school. Hybrid courses are considered to be Online courses for the purpose of VA reporting.

Study Abroad

The GI Bill® will cover basic tuition and fees, books and supplies, and sometimes additional fees specific to the Study Abroad programs IF the Study Abroad option is required for graduation (CH 33 recipients ONLY). BAH rates will be based on Texas State University rates. Ensure that the courses you are taking abroad are part of your degree plan!


Ch 33 does NOT cover travel costs (airfare, lodging, and meals) or third party charges. Other GI Bill® benefit recipients are paid on a monthly basis directly to the veteran as usual.


Hazlewood Recipients

Aircraft Training

Aircraft training course are covered by the Hazlewood Act, but each school must decide the extent to which this is true. The governing board of a junior or community college may establish a fee for extraordinary costs associated with a specific course or program such as flight training, diesel mechanics or other classes in which fees are higher than that of a normal class.

Concurrent Enrollment

Veterans who are concurrently enrolled in more than one college or university (in the same semester) may receive Hazlewood Act benefits for both schools; however, each college/university granting Hazlewood Act benefits must document the veteran's eligibility and must observe the 150-hour limit.

Continuing Education

Institutions are NOT required to offer Hazlewood Act benefits to veterans enrolled in continuing education classes for which the college or university receives no formula funding (tax support).

Hazlewood Act benefits do not currently cover continuing education courses or programs.

Correspondence and Extension Study

Hazlewood Act benefits do not currently cover correspondence and extension study courses or programs.

Credit by Examination

Since Texas Education Code 54.341 (a) refers to an exemption from "all dues, fees and charges..." the Hazlewood Exemption would include charges for credit by examination.

Distance Education

If the classes receive formula funding, are taken through Texas public institutions, and the charges are paid to the institution and not to a third party, they are covered by the Hazlewood Act.

Graduate School

Hazlewood Act benefits may be used for graduate studies, including law school or any other program of study at public institutions (other than continuing education) if the veteran has not accumulated 150 credit hours using Hazlewood Act benefits since fall of 1995.

Online Classes

If the classes receive formula funding, are taken through Texas public institutions, and the charges are paid to the institution and not to a third party, they are covered by the Hazlewood Act.

Study Abroad

Hazlewood Act benefits do not currently cover study abroad courses or programs.

Teacher Certification

Hazlewood will not cover a teacher certification fee because it is not an institutional fee. It is a fee required by the State Board for Educator Certification and is paid directly to that board.