Office of Veterans Affairs
Welcome to the Office of Veterans Affairs
The Texas State University Office of Veterans Affairs assists veterans and dependents by answering questions concerning veteran educational benefits, certifying enrollments for the Department of Veterans Affairs, processing the Hazlewood benefit, and monitoring our students’ degree plans and academic progress as required for their benefits.
- Students using GI Bill® for the first time will need to apply for a certificate of eligibility at www.va.gov at least 2 months prior to registering for their first semester at TXST.
- Once completed, the student will receive in the mail a Certificate of Eligibility in their name about 6-8 weeks after the submission.
- All certification requests are done electronically at TXST University and you do not need to come into our office.
For all Hazlewood documentation, the burden of proof is on the student to provide all required documents.
Once the Certificate of Eligibility has been received the student would go to our website at www.va.txstate.edu, click on certification request, login in with their Net ID, click on create new request, and fill out the questionnaires. The last page after the questionnaires will provide a page where you can upload documents. The student will then upload the required documents in pdf. or jpeg. format.
All documents must be submitted by the student through our online certification request system. Documents submitted via email, fax, or mail will not be accepted. Students in need of equipment can use the office self-serve kiosks to digitize documents and submit certification requests.
Submission Deadlines and Processing Dates
Note: Email and call volume increases significantly prior to the start of a term, thus impacting processing times.
- To keep processing times reasonable, check the status of your request online through the Certification Request system instead of calling or emailing.
- All requests are processed by the date it was received. Contacting our office does not change this date or expedite the processing.
- Submissions made after our first deadline are not guaranteed to be processed before the bill is due. You must monitor your bill and make other payment arrangements if necessary.
- Chapter 30, 35, and 1606 GI Bill® submissions must include a valid Certificate of Eligibility for the first semester they wish to use the benefit.
- Fry Scholarship and Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) GI Bill® submissions must include a valid Certificate of Eligibility.
- All students must provide one copy of the veteran’s DD-214 for benefits processing to begin.
- Hazlewood and GI Bill® non-tuition submissions made after our deadline will not be processed before the bill is due. You must make other payment arrangements.
- Incomplete submissions will be cancelled after the census date and the student will be required to call or come into the office to resolve their request for that semester.
Certification Request Begins
|No Submissions After this Date|
|Spring||October 1||December 15||Last day of class before finals|
|Summer||March 1||May 15||Last day of class before finals|
|Fall||June 1||August 1||Last day of class before finals|
If you have any questions, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 512-245-2641. Due to increased activity during the month prior to the start of each new semester (Jan, May, & Aug), hold times may exceed 30 minutes and email may take a minimum of five working days to respond.