Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Certification Requests

Do I have to put in a certification request every semester?

Yes, you must put in a certification request for every semester you want benefits processed for.

Why am I certified for fewer credits than what I am enrolled in?

VA will not pay for open electives that are not part of your degree plan. If you wish to get the course certified, please have your advisor send an email to stating that the course is part of your degree plan.

Can I appeal a Hazlewood certification request that has been denied?

Eligibility can be reestablished with a successful appeal based on mitigating circumstances. There is currently no appeal process for excess hours.


Adding, Dropping, and Withdrawing Classes

A student must contact our office if they change their schedule in any way during the semester. A student should also contact our office before dropping or withdrawing. Failure to do so can result in large debts assigned to the student.

GI Bill®

A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class will have a portion of their GI benefits charged. Reasons for withdrawal must be supported with documentation or it will not be reported for mitigating circumstances. The student must provide all documentation to the Office of Veterans Affairs prior to withdrawal, otherwise the student will need to provide those documents to the VBA at a later date. Additionally, the student will receive a notice of debt from the VBA. The student must bring this debt letter to our office so we can assist in resolving it.

GI Benefits do not calculate based on the Texas State University refund schedule.


A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class will have a percentage of their Hazlewood benefits charged, depending on the refund schedule.


Change of Address

GI Bill® recipient's award letters and benefit checks will be mailed to the address stated on the VA Certification Request. If you change your address or bank account, you should immediately notify our office and VA. For immediate change of address or account call 1-877-838-2778 to give them your new information. Don’t forget to complete an address change with the Office of the University Registrar.


Concurrent and Transient Enrollment

When you enroll at Texas State University to pursue a degree or certification program, Texas State is considered your "parent institution". GI Bill® recipients that wish to take courses at another institution but complete your degree at Texas State University, must complete a Parent Institution Form (PIF) with your academic advisor here at Texas State University. 

After your Texas State University academic advisor signs the form, bring it to the Office of Veterans Affairs for a Certifying Official to sign. Then bring the form to the other school’s Veterans Affairs Office. The VA Office at your other school will certify and process your benefits for those courses.


Correspondence Courses

The VBA does not authorize Correspondence Courses or any programs offered through the Office of Distance & Extended Learning (ODEL) to be certified at Texas State University.


Debt Letters

If you receive a debt letter from the VA, bring it in to our office for assistance.


Dual Majors

The GI Bill® will pay for dual majors. However, it remains that the VA does not pay for courses that are not required for your degree. If you are declaring two majors, minors will not be required or covered. There are no such stipulations for Hazlewood recipients.


Emergency Tuition Loan and Payment Plan

The student will be responsible for payment of any and all fees associated with the setup of the Emergency Tuition Loan or the Payment Plan.


Enrollment Verification

Texas State University Office of Veterans Affairs does not certify a student's enrollment status for purposes other than processing GI Bill® benefits. CHAMPVA students and the like may verify their enrollment from the Office of the University Registrar’s Enrollment Verification webpage. This form is official and bares the University Registrar’s signature and the University seal. If you have further questions or concerns regarding your full-time/part-time enrollment status, contact the Office of the University Registrar.


Excessive Hours

Hazlewood recipients cannot use their benefits if they are in excessive hours. 

GI Bill® recipients can use their benefits; however, VA will NOT pay penalty (excessive hours) fees.

Visit the Student Business Services website for more information regarding the University's policy on tuition and excessive hours.


Exploratory and Undeclared Majors

Students pursuing a bachelor’s degree may not have to declare a major; however, only “General Education” courses can be certified prior to the declaration of a major. In addition, the student cannot be certified beyond his/her first sophomore semester unless a major has been declared. After 45 semester hours of being undeclared, the university will put a hold on your account until you have visited with an academic advisor.

After you have declared a major, you must send an email to with your updated status so that we may certify any courses that were not certifiable given your current non-degree status.


Extension of Benefits

An individual is entitled to no more than 48 months of combined GI Bill® benefits across all types.

Hazlewood will not exempt tuition for more than 150 hours per individual, regardless of number of sources.



GPA Requirements

Hazlewood recipients must maintain the following Texas State GPA every semester to remain eligible for Hazlewood benefits.

  • 2.0 for Undergraduate
  • 3.0 for Graduate

Suspended Status

Students in a suspended status are not eligible for VA or Hazlewood benefits. Find more information on the University's academic probation and suspension policy.


Graduate School

You can use GI or Hazlewood benefits for post-baccalaureate degrees, including Ph.D programs.


Internship/Externship/Student Teaching Courses

GI Bill® recipients may be certified for full-time benefits by completing a Request for Full Time Status when taking an internship, practicum, or student teaching course. To be considered full time, you must be working 30 hours per week or more.


Online Courses

For Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), if you enroll in only online courses for a semester, the VA will only pay you at the reduced online rate. If at least ONE of your classes is face-to-face class, then you will receive the amount of stipend you would normally get.


Parking Services

Disabled Veterans with a service-related disability are exempt from paying parking permit fees, but must always register their vehicle with Parking Services and obtain and properly display a Texas State permit. If you have questions, visit Parking Services, call Parking Services at 512.245.2887, or e-mail


PE Credit

Veterans who have had one year of active duty service will receive 4 hours of Physical Fitness & Wellness (PFW) credit. To receive this credit, you must take your DD-214 to the Admissions Office.


Pre-Requisite Courses

Courses required for admission to the next level of training may be approved for GI Bill® recipients. Contact our office for more information.


Remedial Classes

Remedial courses are those courses that maybe taken by students whose placement exam qualifies them. These courses can be certified only if test scores meet the published school requirements if they will not be certified.

  • Hazlewood, Chapters 30, 33, and 1606: Entitlement is charged for remedial and deficiency training.
  • Chapter 35: Entitlement is not charged up to five months of full-time remedial and deficiency training. Six standard credits and six remedial credits means that the student is paid at the full-time rate, but entitlement is charged at the half-time rate.
  • Independent study (online) remedial and deficiency courses cannot be certified.


Repeating Courses

Both Hazlewood and the GI Bill® will take care of the tuition for repeat courses, but will not pay the course repeat fee. Also, GI Bill® recipients should keep in mind that the VA only covers courses required for their graduation. If repeating the course is not necessary for your degree, VA will not pay for it.



The Post 9/11 GI Bill® will only pay for resident tuition. Students eligible for GI Bill® benefits may qualify to have the out-of-state portion of their tuition waived or exempted.  Contact Residency within the admissions office. If Texas State University considers you an out-of-state student and you are not the veteran, you cannot use Hazlewood. There is no waiver available to change this.



Students in a ROTC program can be certified for courses required for their degree and for courses required for the ROTC program.


Schedule Changes

If you are using GI Bill® benefits, any of the following changes to your classes or credits must be reported to our office immediately or your benefit payments could be delayed up to 45 days and/or result in an over-payment and debt:

Changes in credit load that affect your training time

You need to report when you add or drop a class because it will affect your payments.  

Waitlisted Classes

Waitlisted classes do not reflect in your credit load until you are officially enrolled in the class. You are responsible for notifying us once you have officially registered for the course.

Called to Active Duty

If during the semester you are called to active duty, notify the Office of the University Registrar to discuss the withdrawing of your courses and the possibility of filing an appeal for reimbursement of tuition and fees. Learn more about dropping vs withdrawing.

Mitigating Circumstances

If you are required to drop/withdraw from a course during the semester for reasons beyond your control (i.e. financial, health, employer, childcare, etc.), you may not be required to pay the VA back the money you were paid for the course(s). Please notify our office immediately if mitigating circumstances apply to you, providing documentation.


Student Teaching/Internship Courses

GI Bill® recipients may be certified for full-time benefits by completing a Request for Full Time Status. You will not receive BAH if you are enrolled ½ time or less.


Study Abroad and National Student Exchange

Refer to our GI Bill® page for information about federal benefits.



Any students in a suspended status are not eligible for GI Bill® or Hazlewood benefits. Find more information on the University's suspension policy.


Tuition Assistance

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program. VA does not administer TA. Some students may be prohibited from simultaneously receiving education benefits from VA and TA benefits from the military.

Chapter 33

Students receiving TA will be certified as any other Chapter 33 student, with TA benefits deducted from the net tuition and fee charges submitted to VA.

Chapter 30

We cannot certify classes for which an active duty service member will receive TA under Chapter 30 (with the exception of Top-up). If a student takes several courses, the student cannot receive Chapter 30 benefits for the courses for which TA is paid, but the student can receive Chapter 30 benefits for the courses for which TA isn’t paid.

Chapter 1606

We cannot certify any class for VA benefits under chapter 1606 if the member is receiving TA for the class. National Guard and Reserve service members can receive Federal TA for some classes, and receive Chapter 1606 benefits for other classes (for which Federal TA isn't paid) during the same term. Also, students may receive Chapter 1606 or 1607 benefits and State TA simultaneously.

When can I use my GI Bill® for the same classes for which Federal TA is being paid?


Active Duty/AGR

Drilling Status

Chapter 33



Chapter 30



Chapter 1606



¹ The amount paid by Federal (as well as state) TA should be deducted in the net charges determination
² The service member may apply for Top-Up


Tutorial Assistance

Tutorial assistance helps the student pay for necessary tutoring and is a supplement to the student's regular VA benefit. Tutorial assistance may be paid to students under Chapters 30, 33, 35 and 1606. Tutorial assistance is not authorized for Chapter 1607. 
The monthly rate may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1200 per student per benefit program. There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under Chapter 30 and 1606. There is no entitlement charge under Chapter 33 or 35. The student, tutor, and certifying official must complete an Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t).
All of the following criterion must be met for a student to be eligible for tutorial assistance:

  • Must be in a post-secondary program ½-time or more.
  • Must have a deficiency in a course that is part of their approved program.
  • Must be enrolled in the course during the term in which the tutoring is received for the course.
  • Tutoring may not occur between quarters or semesters.


Request Statuses

Below is a list of each request status and an explanation of what they mean. If you have questions about your status, please refer to the chart before contacting us.


Standard processing track:

Pending Review

This has not yet been reviewed for the latest document uploads.

Request Approved

The documents and registration have been approved for processing. You do not need to contact us unless you make a schedule change.

Sent to Student Business Services

Tuition-based benefits are sent to apply to the bill at TXST.

Sent to VBA

GI Bill® benefits are reported to the Veterans Benefit Administration.

Reporting Finalized

GI and Hazlewood reports to outside agencies are complete.


Pending statuses mean we are waiting for something to happen:

Pending Semester Grades

Hazlewood students waiting for TXST GPA to post.

Pending Registration

Student has yet to register for the semester.

Pending Counselor Invoice

Voc Rehab students need their counselor to send documentation.


Other statuses that require reading the email sent:


Documents are missing. Read the email for specific information.


Updates are being made based on student changes to the semester.


The request has been canceled. This will specify why.


The request has been denied. This will specify why.


The student has withdrawn from the semester.


GI Bill® FAQ

How long after separation from service do I have to use my Montgomery GI Bill® benefits?

Typically, the MGIB benefits expire 10 years after discharge. To determine eligibility, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs or call 1-888-442-4551.

Is a veteran with a general discharge who elected the MGIB at time of enlistment eligible for MGIB?

To be eligible for the Montgomery Bill, you must have a discharge under honorable conditions. If you received a general discharge, that status would need to be changed in order to receive MGIB benefits. To request an upgrade to the character of discharge, contact your service’s Board for the Correction of Military Records (BCMR).

Can I use Hazlewood and Chapter 30 benefits at the same time?


My active duty Chapter 30 GI Bill® benefits will be exhausted soon, but I still have two more semesters of school until I graduate. Can I extend my benefits, or am I eligible for benefits under Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill® after my Chapter 30 is exhausted?

You cannot extend your Chapter 30 benefits. However, if you qualify for the Post 9/11 GI Bill® (90-days of active duty, after September 10, 2001 for the minimum benefit, up to three years of active duty service for the full benefit), then you could be eligible for an additional 12 months of education benefits.  If you qualify for two portions of the GI Bill®, your maximum combined benefit caps at 48 months.

To get the additional 12 months, completely exhaust your Chapter 30 benefits. Once exhausted, switch over to the Post 9/11 GI Bill®

What is a Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

A Certificate of Eligibility is an award letter from the VA stating your percentage of eligibility for GI Bill® benefits and the number of months and days of entitlement. You receive it in the mail after you have applied for benefits with the VA.

How do I get a new Certificate of Eligibility (COE)?

  • Post 9/11 Chapter 33: Veterans and dependents can check eBenefits
  • MGIB Chapter 30 and 1606: Veterans can check WAVE

Is there an expiration of benefits for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

  • For veterans who separated prior to 2011, there is a 15 year limit.
  • For veterans after 2011, the Forever GI Bill® has removed the limit.

I retired from the military before 2009, am I or are my dependents eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

Anyone who served at least 90 days on active duty after September 11, 2001, is eligible for Ch. 33. Those who retired prior to August 1, 2009, are not eligible to transfer benefits to their dependents. For information please visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Can I transfer my Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to my spouse and children?

Dependents must be named and assigned at least 1% of the benefits available prior to separation from service. Visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for more information.

Can I use my GI Bill® for summer courses?


I retired from the military before the Post-9/11 GI Bill® was available. Do I have access to the benefit, and if not, is anything available to me?

To learn more please visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

What is the difference between Tuition Assistance and the Post-9/11 GI Bill®?

Tuition Assistance (TA) is administered by the Department of Defense and has its own set of rules and eligibility. The Post-9/11 GI Bill® is administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs. As such, service-members using TA can continue their education under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® upon separation from the military.

Can I use my Post-9/11 GI Bill® to get a pilot's license and does the school need to be a FAA Part 141 school? Will books and other materials be paid for under by benefit?

Yes, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® covers certain types of flight training. To learn more visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Can I use my Post-9/11 GI Bill® for other vocational training, such as a trade school or to get my CPA?

Yes, the Post-9/11 GI Bill® can be used for vocational training. For more information visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Do I still get a housing stipend if I am attending correspondence school or taking online classes?

If you are taking all classes online you get up to $825 for BAH. Correspondence courses are not certified through the university. To learn more about correspondence schools under CH. 33 visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.

Does ROTC count toward the Post-9/11 GI BILL®?

No, ROTC as well as Service Academy graduates must complete their initial active duty commitment before counting active duty toward Post-9/11 GI Bill® eligibility.

Can I use Hazlewood and Chapter 33 benefits at the same time?

You cannot use Hazlewood and Chapter 33 together, unless you have less than 100% coverage from the GI Bill®

Am I eligible for benefits under Chapter 33 Post-9/11 GI Bill® after my Chapter 30 is exhausted?

You may be eligible. Contact the VBA to verify eligibility and for information on how to receive the extra benefit. No individual may receive more than 48 months total benefit across all GI Bill® benefits.

What about the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Texas State University does not participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program because tuition here is below the state maximum.

What about national test reimbursement?

A student may file a request for reimbursement directly to the VBA for certain tests and correspondence courses. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has a list of all the tests that are currently approved for reimbursement.

Follow these steps to apply:

  1. First apply for GI Bill® benefits.
  2. Complete a VA Form 22-0810 (Application for Reimbursement of National Exam Fee)
  3. Send the completed application to VA Regional Office P. O. Box 8888 Muskogee, OK 74402-8888, or use the Ask VA section of their website to send them the information required and attach copies of any required documents.

Find more information here.

What is BAH and MHA?

BAH stands for Basic Allowance for Housing. MMA stands for Monthly Housing Allowance. These are two names for the same housing stipend received from the Post 9/11 GI Bill®.

How much MAH/MHA do I get?

The stipend is calculated by the BAH rate for an E-5 with dependents for the 78666 zip code (DoD BAH Calculator). MHA is prorated for both eligibility percentage and partial months of school. The VA will only pay for those days a student is enrolled in classes.

When will I receive an increase or decrease in my MHA based on BAH changes?

If the BAH increased for your area, you will not see an increase until your September MHA payment for training pursued in August.

When do I receive my MHA?

The VA disburses MHA on the first of the month for the month prior. For example, on October 1st, students will receive MHA for September.

What is considered "full time"?

See the below charts.

Undergraduate Rate of Pursuit

Semester Full Time Half Time 51%

Fall & Spring

12 hours 6 hours 7 hours

5-week course

4 hours 2 hours 3 hours

8-week course

6 hours 3 hours 4 hours

10-week course

8 hours 4 hours 5 hours


Graduate Rate of Pursuit

Semester Full Time Half Time 51%

Fall & Spring

9 hours 4 hours 5 hours

5-week course

3 hours 1 hour 2 hours

8-week course

6 hours 3 hours 4 hours

10-week course

6 hours 3 hours 4 hours


What if I'm not enrolled as a full time student?

MHA will be prorated by a student’s rate of pursuit. Students must be enrolled in at least 51% of full time status in order to receive any MHA at all.

  • Undergrads: need at least 7 hours during regular semesters; 3 hours per 5-week summer session.
  • Graduates: need at least 5 hours during regular semesters; 2 hours per 5-week summer session.

Do I get MHA if I'm taking online courses?

Yes, but you must be in at least one hour of face-to-face classroom instruction to receive full MHA. MHA for students attending only online coursework will receive 50% of their normal rate.

I didn't get my MHA check, why?

When we report to our VA Regional Processing Office (RPO), they may take up to 30 days to process the benefit. To check on a payment status, students should call the Muskogee Regional Office at (888) 442-4551.

I didn't get my full MHA check, why?

Ensure that you were certified as a full time student. You can do that by checking your certification request or by contacting our office. They only pay for those days a student is enrolled in classes.

I am a member of the National Guard/Reserve, what type of days count toward Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits?

Any time spent on Title 10 active duty, or under certain types of Title 32 orders, count toward eligible time for Post-9/11. Contact the VA for assistance determining what types of active duty qualify for Chapter 33 eligibility.

Where do I go to get a DD-2384 notice of basic eligibility (NOBE)?

We cannot process your 1606 benefits without your NOBE. You can get your NOBE/DD-2384 from your command.

Can I use Hazlewood and Chapter 1606 benefits at the same time?


Can I take any class?

Open Elective courses will not be paid by the VA, and the student must contact their academic advisor to resolve this or pay out of pocket for those courses. Open Elective courses will not count towards full time status by the VA, which may result in a reduced payment to the student.


Hazlewood FAQs

All students must meet all requirements for Hazlewood benefits. More information can be found at the Texas Veterans Commission Hazlewood website.

Who signs my Hazlewood application if the veteran is deceased?

If veteran is deceased, the surviving spouse or child’s guardian, conservator, custodian, or other legally designated caretaker can sign on the veteran’s behalf for the transfer of Hazlewood hours (Legacy program). They will sign on the "Veteran's Designee's Signature" line for Legacy Certification and Consent. The Veteran's signature is not required if the eligible veteran is totally disabled, service-related deceased, MIA, or KIA. This is because the recipient is applying for their own benefits, not a transfer of benefits.

Can I use Hazlewood and GI benefits at the same time?

  • Chapter 30 (MGIB)- Yes
  • Chapter 31 (Voc Rehab)- No
  • Chapter 33 (Post 9/11)- Only if the GI Bill® does not cover 100% of the tuition
  • Chapter 35 (DEA)- Yes
  • Chapter 1606- Yes

What charges are covered?

There is no money changing hands with this benefit. The Hazlewood Act is an exemption from the payment of tuition and basic fees, which does not include property deposits or student services fees. Books, supplies, living expenses, property deposit, penalty fees, payment plan/emergency loan fees, and student services fees are not covered.

How will the Hazlewood credit hours attempted be tracked and recorded?

All students using the Hazlewood Act benefit must register with the Hazlewood Online Database. Reported benefits will be shown there.

Can service in the Texas National Guard qualify an individual for Hazlewood Act benefits?

Individuals in the National Guard who served at least 181 days of non-training, active duty service and meets all other program requirements may qualify for Hazlewood Act benefits. Average duty time for Guard/Reserve means a minimum of 6 years’ service before the veteran qualifies.

What types of courses does the Hazlewood Act cover?

Texas State University online courses, Undergraduate and Graduate Programs, and credits by examination are covered.

Does the Hazlewood Act cover teacher certification fees?

No, the teacher certification fee is not an institutional fee.

Will Hazlewood Act benefits pay for correspondence, continuing education, study abroad, national student exchange and extension classes?

Hazlewood Act benefits do not cover correspondence, extension study, or study away courses/programs.

If I'm concurrently enrolled in more than one college (in the same semester), can I use the Hazlewood Act at both schools?

Yes, file a request with both universities.

Is financial need an eligibility requirement?

No, Hazlewood Act benefits are awarded regardless of financial need.

If I have defaulted on an education loan, am I eligible for an exemption?

Defaulting on a loan that is made or guaranteed by the state of Texas disqualifies you from receiving Hazlewood Act benefits.

If I received Hazlewood benefits and it is later discovered that I defaulted on an applicable loan, will I have to reimburse the school for the classes take with the exemption?

Texas State University can require repayment of tuition and appropriate fees.

My place of entry is in another state, but I was a Texas resident at the time of entry. Do I qualify for Hazlewood benefits?

Veterans whose DD214 does not indicate a Home of Record or Place of Entry into Active Duty as Texas will be required to provide a Texas high school transcript indicating their graduation within one year of their enlistment. If the entry date is more than one year after high school graduation, the Veteran will be required to provide one of the following: lease or mortgage documentation, pay stubs, or W2 to verify Texas residency in accordance with Subchapter B, Texas Education Code § 54.

Does an individual have to be a U.S. citizen when he/she enters service in order to receive Hazlewood Act benefits?


If I am from another state and re-enlist after establishing residency in Texas, am I eligible for Hazlewood Act benefits?

No, re-enlistment is not the same as entering service. If you separate and then re-enter service with a new home of record or place of entry, you would qualify. 

Does the dependent of a service member using Hazlewood benefits have to be a Texas resident?

Yes, the dependent must be classified by their institution as Texas residents for the term they apply for the Hazlewood Act.

Does a veteran have to provide his/her DD214 to qualify?

Yes, the veteran must provide a DD214 or equivalent documentation (if service is prior to 1950) to prove his/her eligibility.

I don't want to give you my SSN, do I have to?

This is required for reporting to the state. Do not redact your DD214.

I can't find my DD214. Where can I get a new copy?

A veteran can request a digital copy of their DD214 from eBenefits.

What is acceptable discharge/separation language?

"Honorable" or "General, under honorable conditions" are the only legally acceptable types of discharge that qualify.

Is the required amount of active service still 181 days? Are there any exceptions?

The requirement is "more than 180 days" of active military service, excluding training, for the veteran. There are exceptions, veterans who completed all of their duty prior to the conclusion of the Korean War. If the applicant is the dependent child of a veteran who died in the line of duty, the active duty time of the veteran may be fewer than 181 days.

If a veteran served less than 181 days op active duty service when he/she entered the service as a Texas Resident, but had previously participated in active duty in the Armed Forces, could periods of service be combined to meet the 181 day requirement?

Yes, multiple periods of active duty service can be combined to calculate whether or not a veteran qualifies.

Can eligible veterans transfer unused hours to a child?

Yes, the child designee must be the stepchild, biological child, adopted child, or claimed as a dependent on a federal income tax return filed for the preceding or current tax year.

Does the Hazlewood Act provide benefits to the spouses of veterans?

Possibly, eligibility for a spouse can be found on the Texas Veterans Commission website.

Can the children or spouses of a member of the Texas National Guard use the Hazlewood benefit?

Maybe, the Hazlewood Act benefit is extended to the dependent children and spouses of Texas National Guard and Texas Air National Guard members killed in the line of duty since January 1, 1946, while serving the State of Texas or the United States or who are totally disabled according to the disability ratings of the Department of Veterans Affairs, regardless of whether the members are eligible to receive disability benefits from the department.