Skip to Content

Information for Students

Dropping and Withdrawing

You must contact our office if they change their schedule in any way during the semester. You should also contact our office before dropping or withdrawing. Failure to do so can result in large debts assigned to you.

GI Bill® 

A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class will have a portion of their GI benefits charged. Additionally, they will receive a notice of debt from the VBA. The student must bring this debt letter to our office so we can assist in resolving it. Mitigating circumstances must be provided prior to withdrawal.


A student who drops or withdraws from the university on or after the first day of class might have a portion of their Hazlewood benefits charged.


Processing Time

Please allow a minimum of 10 business days for standard verification and internal processing of benefits. Processing times will increase during periods of high volume. This time does not include the VBA’s own minimum time for processing. All benefits are processed in the order received.


What benefit are you using?

GI Bill®




Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill®

For veterans serving prior to 2001     

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

For children and spouses of Servicemembers who transferred benefits after 11 Sep 2009

Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation

For disabled veterans  

Chapter 35 Dependents’ Educational Assistance

For children and spouses of Servicemembers who have a 100% disability rating from the VBA

Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®

For veterans who served after September 2001  

Fry Scholarship

For children and spouses of Servicemembers who die in the line of duty after 10 Sep 2001

Chapter 1606 Selected Reserve GI Bill®

For Guard & Reserve veterans      





Legacy Child



A qualifying veteran gets their normal benefit to use at Texas public colleges and universities   A qualifying veteran may provide their Hazlewood hours to a legal dependent   Benefit due to a qualifying veteran who has 100% disability VA rating or has died due to service-connected reasons



Steps for incoming students

Get your transcripts

Get admitted and residency evaluated

Get your benefit letter

Additional Steps


Steps for current students


What documents are needed from the student and veteran?

See Required Documents


When should I submit documents?

Certificate of Eligibility (COE) - Once a year if you have more than 12 months remaining of benefits or every semester if you have 12 months or less remaining.

Hazlewood Application - Every semester.


Which institutional debts does my benefit cover?

GI Bill®

  • 33 (Post 9/11) – Tuition and standard fees*
  • 31 (Voc Rehab) – Tuition, standard fees*, books and some supplies
  • 30 (MGIB), 35 (DEA), 1606 (Guard/Reserve) – No debts covered


  • Tuition
  • Standard Fees* (except student service fee)


*includes authorized lab fees and online course fees


Which debts does my benefit not cover?

Student Service Fee (Hazlewood only) Health Center charges
Open Electives (GI only) Extension Program Fees
Repeating course already passed (GI only) Damage Fees
eTextbook fees Out of State tuition (without residency waiver)
Meal Plan Repeat Course Fee
Housing Fees Payment Plan Origination Fee
Books Emergency Loan Origination Fee
Late Fees Study Abroad Fees**
Late Registration Fees Correspondence Courses


**for more information, please visit our office


Request Statuses

Below is a list of each request status and an explanation of what they mean. If you have questions about your status, please refer to the chart before contacting us.

Status Explanation
Submitted by Student You have submitted a request to the Veterans Affairs Office. It will be reviewed in the order it was received.
Reviewed Your documents have been reviewed. They are correct and complete.
In Process Our office is working with Student Business Services to apply your benefits. Monitor your bill.
Certified Your GI benefit request has been sent to the Muskogee Regional Office. Please wait three business days before calling them with questions.
Amending Hours/fees adjustments are being sent to the VBA.
Complete Veterans Affairs Office has completed your request.
Check your Texas State email for more details. Read the email and follow the instructions.




BAH/Living Stipend– All GI benefits provide a stipend to the student. This is not paid to the school.

Book payment– VOC Rehab will cover required books. You must get them at the bookstore on campus.

Book stipend– Chapter 33 provides a book stipend of $41.66 per credit hour to a maximum of $1000 per academic year (fall through summer). They do not pay the school for your books.

Correspondence– A student may request reimbursement for correspondence studies after the course is complete and a grade has been received.

Fees– The portion of the bill that covers all other costs associated with registration.

Study Abroad– GI Travel/Food/Lodging are costs the VA will not cover.

Tuition– The portion of the bill that covers course costs.